Executive Director Job Description
Under the direction of the Board of Directors represented by the Board Chair, the Executive Director is responsible for overall management and operation of the Kalamazoo County Land Bank Authority (KCLBA) and protection of the organization’s financial assets while ensuring compliance with board directives and applicable grantor, federal and state requirements. The Executive Director provides a platform for setting the vision of the agency and developing actionable plans towards this vision. Strategy, community relations and oversight of communications are principal functions of the position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The Executive Director is responsible for overall operations for KCLBA, a public corporation who manages the disposition of the tax reverted properties. The incumbent also:
- Oversees staff or finance firm in the performance of all accounting functions including those necessary for auditing, budgeting, financial analysis, capital asset and property management and payroll in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles, board and KCLBA policies and procedures, and all other applicable rules and guidelines.
- Is responsible for grant and contract management including negotiating agreement terms that reflect the needs of KCLBA; coordinates with legal advisors to finalize agreement terms; monitors progress of agreements and maintains agreement documentation to ensure fulfillment of agreement terms including receipt and expenditure of funds.
- Assists in the development of current and long-term organizational vision and goals and objectives as well as policies and procedures for KCLBA operations. Establishes plans to achieve goals set by the Board of Directors and implements policies, subject to approval by the Board of Directors. Provides leadership with the board in setting direction, defining core values, and building the agency’s Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion work.
- Provides oversight, leadership, and support for staff responsible for real estate acquisition and disposition, communications, operations and finance.
- Works closely with staff members to ensure they are provided with appropriate support systems and responsive, quality service in the areas of sales, property management, planning, project accounting, human resources, purchasing and related administrative functions.
- Ensures management of vendor services, particularly for insurance, employee benefits and management of KCLBA funds, to determine programs and providers that best meets the needs of KCLBA. Ensures periodic review of KCLBA board approved policies and makes recommendations to the Board, as appropriate.
- Oversees Finance Manager in the negotiation and management of services, terms and premiums and executes contracts with benefit plan providers, supply and service vendors, auditors, and consultants; manages payroll and benefits programs.
- Oversees procurement and provide guidance and support to staff on the same for mowing and debris removal contracts. Oversees larger redevelopment projects, including procurement of professional service providers, construction managers, environmental services providers and coordination and involvement of legal counsel.
- Actively engages with the local community, including funders, stakeholders, partners and residents and represents the agency at speaking engagements and with the press.
- Recruits and convenes committees and project teams of various stakeholders and representatives to further KCLBA efforts.
- Actively engages with fund development in cooperation with the Communications and Grants Manager, representing the agency at meetings with funders and assisting in the identification of funders for projects.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree required in business administration, community development, public administration, urban planning, or another related field. Master’s degree preferred. A combination of experience and a Bachelor’s degree will be considered in lieu of the desired educational requirements. The Executive Director should possess at least five years of progressive experience in supervision, business, non-profit operational and financial management, real-estate, or related areas.
The Executive Director should be a collaborative servant leader and active listener able to build consensus and goodwill amongst project teams. Experience bringing a diverse group of people together in a collaborative fashion to achieve goals is preferred.
Knowledge, skills, and abilities
- Knowledge of leadership and management principles; particularly how to build and support effective collaborative teams with diverse stakeholders.
- Knowledge of current community challenges and opportunities relating to the mission of the organization
Ability to bring together required expertise for human resource management, financial management and project management. Ability to recognize specialized skill sets needed in from external professional service providers, contractors and staff and ability to convey project goals to these specialists and support and build effective teams to ensure operations are managed smoothly with a high standard of professionalism.
Proficiency in the use of computers for:
- Microsoft Office Suite
- Online GIS Systems
The Executive Director may be required to travel to attend conferences, training and other events as required to acquire and maintain proficiency in fulfilling the responsibilities of the position.
- KCLBA offers a generous benefit package including:
- Competitive Salary
- Paid Time Off
- Paid Holidays
- Retirement program with agency match
- Medical, life, dental, vision, and disability insurance.
Please submit a cover letter, resume and three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, December 10, 2021.
The Kalamazoo County Land Bank is an equal opportunity employer; and it is our policy and commitment to prohibit discrimination on the basis of race, sex, age, religion, national origin, marital status, a person’s political affiliation, sexual orientation or gender identify, height, weight or disability.